How Does An ADSAC Assessment Help Reinstate Your Driver’s License?

If you've lost your driver's license after a DUI/DWI, then you might need to have an Alcohol and Drug Substance Abuse Course (ADSAC) assessment. If your state requires this evaluation, then you might not get your license back until you have seen a qualified assessor and followed their recommendations.

How does this process work?

Evaluate the Reasons Behind Your DUI/DWI

When you start the ADSAC process, you will have a meeting with a qualified counselor. They will talk to you about the reasons why you lost your license.

During the meeting, they will also assess whether you made a one-off mistake or whether you might have a longer-term addiction or substance abuse problem by asking a series of family history, lifestyle, medical, and alcohol or drug usage questions. They assess the risk you pose to yourself and to other people.  

At the end of this session, your counselor will tell you what you need to do before you can have your license reinstated. Typically, you must agree to some kind of intervention program before this will happen.

Plan Your Intervention Program

ADSAC counselors will set out any courses, treatments, or programs you need to sign up for before you can apply to get your driver's license back. In some cases, you might simply need to take some re-education classes.

For example, if you lost your license because you made a mistake and drove when you had been drinking too much, then your counselor might recommend that you take a driver's alcohol education class. If you have no history of alcohol problems and there is no indication that you will do this again, then you might not need further help.

However, if you have had repeated DUI/DWI convictions, or if your counselor feels that you have an alcohol or drugs problem., then they might recommend more intensive interventions. For example, they might tell you to take a treatment program or to organize a specific type of therapy.

Get Certification to Reinstate Your License

You can't simply follow your counselor's recommended intervention program and then reinstate your license yourself. Your counselor also has to check that you have done everything they told you to do before they issue a certificate of completion. Once you have this certificate, you can apply for reinstatement.

If you've been told you need an ADSAC assessment, then contact local state-registered assessors to make an appointment for your counseling session. For more information, contact an alcohol assessment professional near you.